Friday, November 20, 2009

How I Failed The Webmaster

if i could,
my friend in flames,
i would write poetry for you.
i would have been
bukowski, ginsberg and neruda
put in one

and you could have been
linda king, peter orlovsky
or whichever cuban beauty
you pick.
yes, i would have even let you choose!

but alas,
my dimwitted scribbling skills
permit me no such glory.
and i fail you,
despite the late night gtalk pestering
that are,
i assure you,
the highlight of my day.

believe you me,
when i am off drowning myself
in browning,
or in my lame-ass boyfraaand,
all i can hope for
is for you to annoy the hell out of me,
dear friend.

apparently,
even katrina kaif can
speak in hindi lately -
"tum bahut achhi ho. i like you." -
she says to a flustered ranbir.
and even the blind man
who turns me into a philanthop
every day abroad K-3
can cross tollygunge phari without help.
but i can't,
for the love of me,
or that of the "worlds",
"birds" and "birdcatchers",

bring myself to write for you.


i guess,
i can't,
because
i have seen at the heart of the mirage.

and there is nothing there.


except deeptesh sen maybe.

~~~

(If I have to tell you who I am,
then all my love for thee,
Little Dee,
has failed.

Love lav.)

12 comments:

Deeptesh said...

ah!Quince, this is too good a poem to be published without your name.I just returned from JU now n was checking AHM...guess what should pop up in front of my eyes but your lovely poem.I shall go into the intricacies of poetical devices later for I'm really tired now and can only say that my inspiration hasn't been vain....the name of the poem is the biggest irony for u r one of the biggest reasons for the success of AHM 2day.I feel more than tempted to change the name but your art is too good to be tampered with....n on a personal level I'm flattered though I don't quite know if your 'Little Dee' deserves these compliments.(I don't have words for you Q!!!)Words fail me but let it be..let it be

Reeju says... said...

this is so very good,signs of a promising poet i feel and am serious

Anonymous said...

but alas!
that the poet's identity should be mistaken.

Deeptesh said...

@ Quince

Killing!!!I am always a big fan of your wordplays for they add a whole new flavor which is Quince-ssential!Your wry humour n assonances are as always beautiful.You r in flames, not me.

PS:The conversational style worked well!n also the snippets of masala n gossip!

@ anonymous

The identity of the poet is too obvious!I did mention her name...looks like u have missed it!But your identity is more of a mystery...who is too shy to reveal his/er own identity, huh?

Reeju says... said...

that the identity should be mistaken is quite impossible cause the writer's identity is severely explicit after (she) says 'little dee'. Had that phrase not been used it would have been a bit tricky to guess.

Somewhere Circus said...

How essential is it for you to hide yourself and push me towards ze flames, O Rudrani Ganguli-Peter?!

Dipankar Lahiri said...

All the reports of madness at the heart of this mirage I see are well founded.

Brainfreeze Blues said...

@ Somewhere Circus

nononoh! Little Dee is convinced it is you. He said he "smelled" you in it. I swear only! And said even the sweetest fragrance cannot hide the smell of the artist from the audience's eyes ... or, er... nose!

Damn your body odour!

deepteshpoetry said...

@ Catlady n Quince

Sorry.....but the poem is very pretty indeed!

Vikrant Dadawala said...

What a poem!

WHAT A POEM!

Roshni said...

Barely saved myself from falling over laughing(with my chair) with the 'hunkarhuruth' sound Big D is sure I'll make.
Brilliant work,my child.
-Proud Kakima.

Brainfreeze Blues said...

I thank ye all, my gracious children (and Kakima. and Vikrant.)

You make up for the heartbreak that Deeptesh caused me in not recognizing my love for him!